With so much going on after a spinal cord injury (SCI), choosing a rehabilitation facility can be a daunting task. While insurance does play a role in where you will receive your rehabilitation, it is important to gather as much information as possible about your options so you can get the most out of your time in a rehabilitation program. To get an idea of the features, benefits, and full range of services offered, it’s recommended that you consider three rehabilitation facilities. Be sure to consider things that are important to you along with the following list of considerations that can have an impact on your recovery.
- How many patients are admitted each year?
- Do most patients go home after their time there or to long-term care?
- Have they treated people with injuries like yours?
- Is your care team made of the same people every day?
- Can they handle a life-threatening emergency?
- Do they provide 24-hour respiratory care?
- Are there weekend and evening activities for patients?
- How often and how long do you interact with specialists?
- Is the facility specifically for SCI rehabilitation or is it one of many services offered?
- What’s the average length of stay for people with injuries like yours?
- Is family encouraged to participate in the rehabilitation process?
- Do they provide prep programs for families?
- Do they offer counseling services such as peer support, family, individual, and group therapy?
- Do they offer care services at every stage of the injury?
- ICU, inpatient rehab, post-acute care, outpatient rehab?
Source: www.shepherd.org, Accessed: 3/7/17